1.24.2014

::Happy Things Part 2-The Kitchen and Master Bedroom::

PSSSST...I'm no longer blogging here!
You can now find me at
----------------------------------------------------------------

If you read my previous post about my great room  you'll know I spent some time snapping pictures of my home in an effort to capture those spaces that make me happy....because I'm in a pretty nasty season of life right now, and want to put whatever energy I can muster into creating gratefulness to offset the blues. That didn't include cleaning up before taking the pictures, don'tchaknow.

In looking thru the pics from my last post, I began to see my intentions in bringing in more color to my spaces and in using pieces that have sentimental value regardless of matching are serving me well so far.  In sticking with my 'loves' and letting go of some 'likes', I've made space for the things that support my energy, and have become tools in navigating my way thru the aforementioned nasties.

So here's the kitchen.  (Blue color on cabinets is SHERWIN WILLIAMS 'Watery') My Target clearanced boxwood wreath makes me all kinds of happy.
Please note I am missing a knob on the upper cabinet, and that stack of dirty pots from 2 days ago.  
:)


Those would be my brown socks.  On the counter.  And an almost empty bag of valentine M & M's in the fruit basket.
No judgement.  They also make me happy.
Hard to see, but lots of birdies from my ever-growing collection have found their way into this space.


The painted box next to the vintage mason jars belonged to my  mama.  She is everywhere in my home.
That makes me happy.


A couple of $15 Target stools I painted up quick until I can find some counter stools I love.  
They make me happy because they remind me that temporary solutions can be perfect for a season.


A colorful runner I picked up on a whim several months ago just happens to match my kitchen cabinets perfectly!  Happy, happy...


Looking into the entryway, the vignette on my gramma's dry sink holds my mom's old gold oil lamp, and the signage my blog friend Julie Rose made for me hung on a thrifted beaded board door I painted.  A rubbermaid tote just hanging out, as well as my winter coat thrown over a chair....whatev. It has ruffles on the be-hind, and of course that makes me happy.


Pretty clearanced runner on the table, with a zillion little things that say "a family dwells here".
Yes, happy.


The china hutch.  Oh the china hutch.  This is it's current incarnation (the 3rd so far), while I decide if I like the color.  It came from my hubby's uncle.  It's a happy color, but I'm still trying to decide if it plays nicely with some other elements in the room.....It's a couple shades darker than my blue cabinets on the opposite side of this space.


I haven't started on the bottom yet, so it sits in all it's mismatched glory while I ponder the color (It's ASCP Provence, rubbed back to show Shabby Paints Worn White).
Love me some thrifted white ironstone and pretty platters, though!


Under the stairs, in plain view of the dining room and great room is this office nook/dump station.  It makes me happy because I know someday it will be awesome.  For now, it's functional, and this pic will make a fabulous 'before' shot, yeah?


My bedroom.  I never rarely make my bed.  No real curtains or stuff on the walls yet.  But it's a haven.  That headboard was a $40 bright brass beauty from the 80's that I sprayed with textured brown paint.  Can't decide if I love the wall color, but I love that this room is on the first floor!  Steamer trunk in a lovely shade of blue belonged to some of hubby's relatives.  It makes me happy except when I jamb my toe into it on one of my nightly jaunts to the ta.


Mom's corner cabinet found it's home in here too, showing off my collection of pitchers. 
Happiness!


By far, my most happiest place in the house can be seen thru this pocket door...


I get giggly every time I walk in here.....


I painted the secondhand mirror with ASCP in Duck Egg and distressed it.  PERFECTION. And my wee china hutch fits perfectly between the vanity and the tub.  Beadboard also makes me very happy.  Duh.


And lastly for today, my little glass collection of birdie things....just sitting here on my gramma's old sewing cabinet-turned jewelry holder until I get inspired to dust them move them to a more permanent location.


I'm surrounded by family heirlooms and items that make me happy.  Don't underestimate the power your own spaces and things carry that can affect your moods.....I'm really gobsmacked by how documenting all the pretty things I have curated for my home conjur sweet memories and connect me with what's important in life.  My house doesn't look like a magazine shoot or frumpy catalogue, but it fills me with peace and comfort for my frazzled emotions and twirling thoughts.

I think I may need to have an impromptu linky in which you, dear ::cottage:: readers, can share 'a day in the life' of your own home, even if it's in the middle of a renovation (ahem, Suzan...), singling out the decor that speaks to you, feeds you, and makes your home YOURS.  Cleaning beforehand not necessary or recommended.

What say you?  Wanna play?

(pssst:  sharing this with That DIY Party, Mod Mix MondayNifty Thrifty Tuesday, The Scoop, Tweak it Tuesday, Inspire Me Tuesday, Inspiration Exchange, What We Accomplished Wednesday, Be Inspired, Twirl and Take a Bow, Knick of Time Tuesday, Be Inspired, The Inspiration Gallery,

32 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Oh- I can see why all those sweet things make you happy. I love all the special treasures you have from your family-especially the ones from your Mom.

I think the china cabinet is looking pretty awesome in her painted color. So far, so good---so very good! xo Diana

Cassie Bustamante said...

everything is looking good and so very you!

Pine Tree Home said...

Great post sharing the things that remind us of those that made/make us happy.

Sharon said...

I think everything is is just beautiful! That cabinet is gorgeous the white dishes look great on it!
Sharon

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

I love the blue!

rebecca @ older and wisor said...

Everything is perfection (of course), but why is that computer in Team Piano's nook??? Tear. Although it is a perfectly practical spot for it and would look SMASHING with a bold graphic floral wallpaper in there for a little party going on under the stairs action...
Also, one of my favorite things, besides your mama's painted box, is that cabinet tucked into your bathroom. It takes a pretty bathroom and makes it downright awesome. The beadboard didn't hurt either.

Rebecca said...

Pretty sure I have a "birdy thing" for you. Just need to know where to find it.....

What happy places :)

Three Birds Inspired said...

I love the light in your new house! Thanks for sharing your treasures as well as real life (right now I have a pair of socks, recently worn, under the coffee table in the living room)! The shades of blue throughout are lovely.

Jen said...

I love real, which makes these happy places even more relaxing and delightful.

Unknown said...

Well, I not only love you, but am very impressed with your perspective on your life. Focusing on the things you love and that make you happy... I think I need a blog!

Adina said...

I think your home is beautiful, especially since it's filled with meaningful things rather than just "trying to keep up with the Joneses" things. And about the things sitting around that were keeping it real, I wouldn't have noticed the stuff had you not pointed it out so don't worry about it. Our homes are homes, not museums. I prefer real. The pictures of so many are all dressed up and look perfect yet you know that just out of picture range is real life. Your "keeping it real" is honest and less intimidating for readers than "always perfect, why can't I keep things like that here at my house".

On the dark days, I'm sorry. That's awful to deal with. I know what that's like, especially in winter. A SAD light has helped, but the thing I found the very most helpful is vitamin D. Most of us don't get enough, especially in the winter. I'm now taking 10,000 units a day for the winter and feeling way better than I've felt in years and years, better mood, brighter outlook, more energy and less trouble thinking things out and making decisions. Might that be worth a try?

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Your home is so charming Cindy! It feels so warm and real! I love all the little personal touches that surely make you smile every day!

Twinkle Terrior said...

Everything is so pretty!! Make sure to put in some aroma-therapy in winter! That also makes everything feel happy. We have "Evergreen" in a warmer in the family room and "kitchen spice" in warmer in the kitchen. "rustic retreat" is a candle I get at walmart that is heavenly smelling. HAPPY WEEKEND- your blog is so beautiful oxox

Maureen said...

Looking good! I absolutely love the blue in the kitchen - great shade!

Julie @ followyourheartwoodworking said...

Everything is lovely, especially the buffet, I like it that colour! I like all your white and turquoise every where, seems calming!

Lindsay said...

Love your home! Thank you for sharing with us and keeping it real. I've looked around your site, but haven't been able to find out what the name of the color on your kitchen cabinets is. Do you know what the color is?

Cathy Cobblestone said...

Oh Cindy - I love all the special things you are adding to your new home. Those family pieces are extra special. And I also love the color of the hutch you are painting - don't change it - you did an awesome job with it and the white ironstone makes it perfect! Love the boxwood wreath, the painting over the fireplace - well I just love it all. Keep sharing with us.

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

I love your kitchen, as you already know, and I think the old hutch is perfect in blue as it compliments nicely your kitchen and it looks gorgeous with white dishes.
And I'm really jealous of your bathroom!

Stacey said...

Love this post! So much life goes on behind a blog and that's really what is important. Socks on the floor, dog hair on my pillows, and a son who never ever puts things away. That's real life and that's home.

Pam Kessler said...

Your kitchen cabinets make me happy! I would love to walk into the kitchen every morning. Very cheerful! I vote for a linky party. I'm in!

Jen said...

I am in love with your kitchen! And so many of your beautiful treasures. It is a blessing to have things in our home that surround us with love, even when we're not feeling very lovely.

I like the idea of a linky party, as I am inspired by your posts to get out my camera and do the same ... find my happy places within my home. :)

sweet violets said...

That's what its all about, things that make you happy!!! Good for you!! Love the blue color throughout your home.........and to quote someone else, don't know who, 'there are NO rules'....

An Oasis in the Desert said...

Just the color of the cabinets would make me happy in that beautiful color! Everything looks so absolutely beautiful! Love that you have special "memories" scattered throughout -- those are the things that make the difference between just a house and a real home!

Life at Still Woods said...

I LOVE the fact that you can take a picture and post it without everything being perfect. Haven't you visited blogs where you knew they must 1)clean prior to snapping the pictures or 2)is lucky enough to have a live in maid. Your home is lovely and I do like the blue on the hutch. Yes, I want to play! My mop is still sitting out from two days ago! I am visiting from Coastal Home and am a new follower. I hope you have time to visit me at Still Woods Farmhouse. I am sharing a terrific Superbowl appetizer!
Blessings from Still Woods Farmhouse

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

I love all of your heirlooms and found treasures. They make a house home and yours is wonderful. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

Deborah@Green Willow Pond said...

I love how so much of your beautiful home has special memories and meaning to you. That is a happy place indeed.

Sorry you are feeling so blue. I often get that way this time of year. This winter has been so cold and gloomy here. We get a sunny day and we venture like creatures out of a dark cave, blinking in the light, turning our faces toward the sun. I hope you feel better soon!

Thank you for sharing at What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Have a great weekend!

Deborah

Tammy Killoough said...

What a gorgeous home you have. I love the soft Turquoise...so beachy cottage. Thank you for sharing all your lovely vignettes with us on Twirl and Take a Bow. Hope to see you again this Tuesday! ~Tammy

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Altogether just lovely as can be! :)

Deborah@Green Willow Pond said...

Just wanted to let you know I will be featuring this at my next party. Look for it Tuesday evening about 6:00 est. ~Deborah

justme said...

I would like to know the blue color of your cabinet, too

Lisa~A Cottage To Me said...

I just found you and plan to (stalk) follow you! Love that you keep it real!

Unknown said...

Your kitchen cabinets make me happy! Kitchen Backsplash

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails