8.13.2009

Welcome!

Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the web. I'm not new to blogging...been working at it for several years, though most were used for journaling or sharing links. This brand-spankin' new spot will be a means to chronicle the transformations I make to our little 80's ranch in Suburbia, USA.

My dream for this place has been not only to update the feel of the house, but to make it into a cottage-style dwelling. It actually houses 5 bedrooms and 3 full baths, formal living and dining areas, and a wonderful screened in porch. It packs a lot of punch for it's size! The problems I've run into since moving in last year mainly deal with asthetics (ie: wallpaper that won't come off, not enough windows, dark wood trim). Paint has provided the biggest lift, as always. Choosing the colors, though, has proven difficult. I've painted most rooms at least twice, and that doesn't count the two coats of primer or the wallpaper to start with! I just love too many colors and styles, and it's hard to narrow it down, listen to the house, and visualize the best 'fit'. After decorating a few previous houses, I'm slowly learning what works and what doesn't, but I still find myself trying to force this house into a 'style' that just won't work. It's never going to be a breezy beach house or a quaint farm house or even a relaxed chic house with timeworn elegant furnishings. It's turning out to be more rustic than I usually prefer, but that style seems to fit the house best, as I hear it sigh in relief whilst I paint the walls in olive greens and warm taupes....placing primitive antiques next to second hand shop treasures. It's a nice eclectic mix, I'd say. I'll have to save my purist decorating drives for another house. :o)

So here is a front shot of the house before we moved in. This was taken the day of our inspection, so the previous owner's decor is in full view, the way I saw it when we bought it.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails